Holy versus Common - David Mitts



One of the keys of Scripture is what we call holiness.  What is holiness?

but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, "Be holy, for I am holy." [3] (1 Peter 1:15-16 NKJV)

What does it mean to be holy?
Separate? 2. Hallowed; consecrated or set apart to a sacred use, or to the service or worship of God; a sense frequently in Scripture; as the holy Sabbath; holy oil; holy vessels; a holy nation; the holy temple; a holy priesthood.

Another word then could be “unique”.  Holy is unique in purpose and specific in intent. Holy things or people are unique in their separation, not necessarily in composition, what they are made of, but in purpose.  The “holy” anointing oil, contained oils that were in other combinations but as the “holy” anointing oil the combination prescribed was unique in its purpose, or if you will its destiny.
Holiness defines not only what something is NOT, common, but also what it is, unique in purpose or destiny.

God, Himself is Holy by His own definition:
Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them: 'Be holy because I, the LORD your God, am holy. (Leviticus 19:2 NIV)

Holy can mean much but for today, I want to focus on the singleness of it, the uniqueness.  God is one of a kind, He is unique in identity and purpose.  This is the core reality of the sh’ma declaration:
Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. (Deuteronomy 6:4 NIV)

Listen to Holy versus Common

So God tells us He is unique and we know that but not just in identity but also in purpose. We could dive deep into what God’s purpose is but for today let’s just look at our purpose.
God tells us to be Holy to be unique in identity and purpose.

So the opposite of this would be to be common, average.  We spoke last week that average is an enemy of our souls.  It wants us to disappear, to vanish in the crowd.

Average uses shame as its weapon of choice.  Shame is about hiding our uniqueness through comparison.  When we compare ourselves to others, we can only do that if we have some standard or measure to use.  This is a real trap that takes our eyes off of God and being led by Him and puts them on how we “measure up to others”.  This is the root idea behind Yeshua’s admonition in Matthew 7:

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces. Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! (Matthew 7:1-11 NIV)

I always thought that judging was about my reaping the judgments I put on others.  But as I meditated on this, I realized that this was only part of a bigger problem.  Yeshua always dealt with motivations of the heart not just behaviors!  When I judge, my heart is trying to find peace through comparison.  This is idolatry. What unlocked it for me was the throwing of pearls to pigs verse.

I thought what was the pearl? A pearl is the treasure of the oyster.  It is the jewel that comes through irritation or in human terms, trials.  Last week we spoke about how trials are a pathpathway to diligence.  In trials, we learn the lessons of diligence that are specific to that trial. and authority in particular.  Trials give us the opportunity to dig in and discover the deposits of God-nature on the inside of us.  These deposits become part of our character in Messiah.

A pearl is the result of diligence.  It is an attainment in the Spirit, a Crown of righteousness.  Righteous is who we are in Messiah.  Righteousness is NOT something we do but who we are and is expressed in attainments of glory or authority, what is called a Crown.  It will be received physically at the return of the Lord.

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing. (2 Timothy 4:7-8 NAS77)

I think it is clear from this that there is a course for each of us to finish.  This is the purpose of our lives.  Judging or lateral looking distracts us from truly discover who we are, and why we are.  We are each unique, which means we are each holy, set apart unto a specific destiny and purpose.
Like the tithe, which is holy, the marriage bed which is holy, the purpose of our lives is holy, it is unique.  The strategy of the enemy is to make that which God has designated as clean, Holy, to become unclean and common.

I remember as a Jewish kid growing up different than the kids around me.  I was aware that my difference separated me.  At the time, I didn’t like the feelings of feeling like an alien.
Yet as I moved on in life I realized I was different and being different wasn’t bad.  My differences meant I had choices that others didn’t.  These choices were part of my purpose. I realized that with my opportunities came new challenges, irritations to my desire for status quo.  But with those irritations a pearl was being developed in me, an authority in certain areas that were part of my purpose. 

I also found that there were some who resented my new directions.  They didn’t celebrate my desire to improve but rather chose to criticize through the lens of their judgments of “what was right”.  These judgments did hurt because I though they were true friends.  They became the swine, those who preferred the common, the known.  My pearls were unwelcomed.  The new hurts and irritations caused me to press into the Lord and realize that my changes were not bad.  I knocked and searched for a new outlook a new perspective.

The Lord opened new doors to new relationships as I sought to be true to my purpose.  Also I felt the Lord begin to deposit new gifts into my heart, as I pursued the new doors, the new opportunities.
The key to all of this is discovering that you were created for a purpose.  If you don’t know then you try to figure out how to just get along.  You sell your soul to the god of fitting in.  Because you are holy, unique you don’t fit in by design.  You are a prophetic singularity.  The Holy Spirit lives in you and He is unique as well.  He will lead you into the truth of your purpose.
Yeshua said in John 16:13-15

But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you. (John 16:13-15 NIV)

There is a truth that is personal to each unique identity and destiny, the truth of purpose.  This is what I believe is what Yeshua meant when He said the Holy Spirit would reveal what is to come.  He reveals your purpose.  This is what is to come.  He then says that He will bring glory or reality to Yeshua by taking some of what is His, your purpose that He died for, and make it known to you.  You see when we each accomplish our purpose, then His Kingdom becomes more real in the world.  When we fit in, try to be relevant and dissolve into the common, He vanishes as well.  Be Holy in Your Purpose!!

Activation: Purpose Exercises:
Ask these thought-provoking, self-discovery questions to get you processing:
  • What are the things you would do even if you didn't get paid for it?
  • What do other people say you're really good at, or that you should do professionally, or do more of?
  • What is the one thing you want to experience or accomplish before you die?
  • If you had all the money in the world, how would you spend your time?
  • What would your perfect day look like? Describe every detail.
  • What activities set your soul on fire?
Ok, now Imagine yourself 132 years old and surrounded by your descendants and/or those descendants of your friends. You are in a warm and relaxed atmosphere (such as around a fireplace). What would you say to them is important in life? This is designed to access the values and principles that guide your life.

Imagine that it is your 35th or 50th birthday (or another milestone in your life). You have been asked by national print media to write a press release about your achievements. Consider what you would want your family, friends, co-workers in your profession and in your community to say about you. 

What difference would you like to have made in their lives? How do you want to be remembered? This is designed to inventory your actions and accomplishments in all areas of your life.
Finally, the true test of purpose is inspiration. It should make you cry

Here’s what to do:
Take out a blank sheet of paper or open up a word processor where you can type (I prefer the latter because it’s faster).
Write at the top, “What is my true purpose in life?”
Write an answer (any answer) that pops into your head. It doesn’t have to be a complete sentence. A short phrase is fine.
Repeat step 3 until you write the answer that makes you cry. This is your purpose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Glory: Kavod - David Mitts

Dam, the Blood - David Mitts